So keeping with the “cheesecake” theme this month of October, and Halloween being less than a week away, I decided that this week’s featured treat for the Bears should be something that always reminds me of Fall and growing up… CARAMEL APPLES. This recipe is delicious and is a cross between apple pie and cheesecake. A little bit labor intense, not really difficult, but just a little more time consuming because it consists of a shortbread crust from scratch, a cheesecake filling, a layer of cored, peeled and finely chopped apples tossed in spices, as well as a streusel topping. And then, to tie-in and perfect all of the flavors…a drizzle of caramel sauce on top. So worth every ounce of effort here! If you like Apple Pie, Caramel, Caramel Apples, Cheesecake and fall, get ready to fall in love with these little bars!
Here are my few tips for you if you decide to make these:
- If you can, get yourself one of these little apple peeling gadgets – it literally shaves your apples as well as shaves down your time tremendously, and turns your Granny Smiths into a Slinky (like the toy that walks downstairs alone or in pairs and makes a slinkety sound…). So fun! I think they are sold at Williams-Sonoma
- I always use salted butter, even though the recipe calls for unsalted
- And I always use KRAFT Philadelphia cream cheese – full fat, for anything cheesecake related
- If you don’t have a pastry cutter you can also use a fork to incorporate the flour/sugar/butter to make your shortbread and your streusel topping – but a pastry cutter helps with time
- For the caramel sauce, I was going to use some of my homemade dulce de leche made from the sweetened condensed milk and thin it out a bit to drizzle on top of these bars, but then stumbled across Smuckers Salted Caramel prepared sauce in the ice-cream section aisle of the grocery store, and it was the perfect consistency (not too runny and not too thick) – so that is my recommendation for this recipe as of last night.
- Per usual, I cut these up into little 2-3 bite sized bars, and put them in cupcake liners for easy grab-n-go.
Ok, here is the recipe I found years ago on the Food Network. I hope you enjoy it!
Please feel free to send me any comments or questions.
Thank you so much for reading my blog and… GO BEARS!!!